Saturday, August 16, 2014

Minnesota Here We Come!


Georgia in the car on the way to Weiser
     A week from today we are on our way for a weekend in Minnesota.  Georgia is going to compete in the Minnesota state fiddle contest and Quin will compete in the fe-fi-fo contest (fiddle tunes played on instruments other than the fiddle).  Some of you might know that Georgia currently  holds the title for Illinois and Wisconsin state champ.   Georgia practices about 4 hours  a day, sometimes more.  Doing these contests is a huge part of Georgia's life, as well as a large part of my own, and my little sisters life. After the 30 hour drive to Idaho this past June, the drive to Minnesota will feel like no time in the car at all

     People might think following my little sister to fiddle contests would get boring on my end of things, but it never does.  For one thing, I love travelling, and for another, the people I am with are the best people I know.  Our "team" that we take with to contests consist of Mom, Georgia, Quin, Dad, Shawn, me, and sometimes Uncle Brian.   Georgia's endless amounts of positive energy and funny dances in the car never cease to keep me entertained.  If its not Georgia, its Quin.  They get so goofy from the long car rides; probably 
has something to do with all of us breathing so much of the same oxygen in the car, gets to their brains I think.


Shawn in his rain suit in Idaho
We keep it pretty interesting
Massage train watching the competition
Georgia before competing in Weiser
Jamming in Weiser
     Honestly though, there is usually jamming going on and other things to keep me busy.  Plus I can't even try to relax if my sister is competing, it really consumes me sometimes.  My family follows contest fiddling the way most family's follow football.  Watching my little sister go from a squeaky 6 year old playing on a monkey size fiddle to the beautiful, talented, committed, fiddler she is now puts me to tears sometimes when I watch her compete.  Georgia works hard practicing everyday for hours at a time.  Minnesota is tough competition but Georgia is prepared and I believe she will play her best. 



       This trip to Minnesota is especially exiting for me since after our first day in Minnesota we are picking up someone very special to me from the airport.  Then after Georgia competes, whatever happens, we are headed to Wisconsin for a few days of jamming and practicing for upcoming shows. The next few shows at the end of the month are going to be so fun!  Hope to see you there!

-KJ

UPCOMING SHOWS
Aug 29th, 7:00
Stage Left Cafe 
125 E Van Buren St, Woodstock, IL

August 30th, 2-5:00
Walworth County Fair
Elkhorn, WI

1 comment:

  1. you made me CRY, Kelly Jo. :) So ignoring that improper use of a comma at the end didn't bother me at all! I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete